Contractor Opening No.: ITC/CIC/20/2022
Date: 27 June 2022
The International Trade Centre is looking for a/an:
Project Officer – Western African Competitiveness Observatory
|Division/Section:||Division of Market Development – Trade and Market Intelligence|
|Type of assignment:||National Consultant|
|Type of contract:||Daily|
|Duty Station:||ITC Office on ECOWAS premises – Abuja, Nigeria|
|Duration of assignment:||6 months|
|Application period:||27.06.2022 – 22.07.2022|
Terms of Reference
The Economic Community of West African States ECOWAS, supported by the European Union (EU), established the West Africa Competitiveness Programme (WACOMP), to increase competitiveness in the region. Among other elements, WACOMP includes the establishment of a West African Competitiveness Observatory.
The Trade and Market Intelligence section (TMI) of the International Trade Centre (ITC) is currently working, in collaboration with ECOWAS, with the financial support of the European Commission, on the West African Competitiveness Observatory to be established under WACOMP. The role of the West African Competitiveness Observatory is to serve as a monitoring tool on the competitiveness of ECOWAS member states and Mauritania and the region, help policymakers define policies to foster national and regional competitiveness and value chain development, and support local firms, in particular small and medium enterprises (SMEs), to establish and participate in regional value chains.
In this context, a Project Officer for the West African Competitiveness Observatory will be based in the ECOWAS Commission to support the development and implementation of the West African
Competitiveness Observatory and facilitate the coordination with key partners (ECOWAS Commission, European Commission, business associations), member countries and other national and regional institutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall guidance of the Head, Trade Data, Tools and Analysis, in coordination with the Director of Trade, ECOWAS, and the direct supervision of the programme officer (ITC), in coordination with ECOWAS and the TMI team (ITC), the Project Officer will:
- Support the implementation of the West African Competitiveness Observatory project, including the mobilization of stakeholders for the implementation of the observatory and other tasks.
- Build and maintain strong collaboration with relevant units in ECOWAS as well as with national, regional and international institutions and other stakeholders
- Participate in the setting up of networks of national and regional data providers
- Support the collection, updating and processing of trade-related data from national and regional institution
- Prepare various written outputs (reports, brochures, press releases etc), presentations
- Provide inputs to the team responsible for the development of the West African Competitiveness Observatory online dashboard
- Prepare materials for and deliver capacity building and training programme
- Support TMI in setting up a communication strategy for the West African Competitiveness Observatory
- Organize events, missions, stakeholder meetings, training etc.
- Present the West African Competitiveness Observatory project and its online functionalities to stakeholders at relevant meetings/fora
- Perform other duties as required
The consultant has to ensure that s/he has obtained the necessary permissions with regard to intellectual property rights required to perform his/her services under this consultancy contract and for the subsequent dissemination by ITC in any form. Documentary proof is to be submitted to ITC. S/he has further to ensure to obtain accreditation to the event(s) as required. Should any license fee be due for the use of copyrighted materials of third parties, the consultant shall request prior written permission from ITC.
QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Advanced university degree in international economics, statistics, trade or related field
- Extensive relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the university degree
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in implementing projects or supporting project implementation in the area of trade and economic integration
- At least 3 years of experience in the area of trade and economic analysis
- Experience in providing technical assistance to West African countries
- Proven success in developing and maintaining institutional stakeholder relations
- Proven people and project management capabilities
- Experience in interacting and presenting at high-level, multi-agency, national and intergovernmental meetings
- Excellent knowledge of regional trade facilitation initiatives
- Experience in working with the private sector is an asset
- Excellent networking, collaboration and organizing skills
- Skills in project management and planning
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to deliver high-quality outputs on time
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written)
- Competency in data processing and data analysis is an asset
Fluency in English and French. Knowledge of Portuguese and/or Arabic is a plus.
To apply, follow this link https://hrapps.intracen.org/ephf/PHF.aspx?lang=en&vacancy=12381&passby=1